Thursday, May 7, 2009

Send 'em Some Sugar (Literally!)

Do you ever see something and think.. oh, that's cute.. I could do that... then forget all about it?

A while back I had seen something in one of the many cake decorating books that I buy about decorating sugar cubes for a party. Cute idea, right? I thought so too.. then promptly forgot all about it.

The other day I indulged and bought myself another book called Beautiful Cakes by Peggy Porschen. It was in a discount bin, so I really couldn't resist. Sure enough, as if by fate.. the very last feature in her book (as well as the back cover art) is home-made sugar cubes.

I figured the baking gods must be screaming at me, cause sure enough.. here we are nearing the end of Teacher Appreciation Week, and a mere few days away from Mother's Day, and I have NOTHING. no gifts, no cards, nothing in the mail on the way anywhere... NOTHING. Ladies and gentlemen.. this is a time to send some SUGAR!

I will say that this was so ridiculously easy that I almost feel guilty giving this as a gift. With some sugar, a half of a drop of neon food coloring, a splash of water to dampen the sugar and my itty-bitty cookie cutters... I was totally in business.


really. if you've ever built a sand castle... you can do this. Take care that the sugar isn't TOO wet, make sure it isn't too dry, and be sure to pack it down.


oh, and wait a few minutes before trying to remove the cutter. otherwise you might end up with a jacked-up sugar shape.


or worse... a real mess.


within an hour or two, the sugar shapes were ready to be handled (GENTLY) to have their picture taken... but I'll be letting them 'dry' over night before I package them up. Nonetheless... here they are ready to sweeten a special some one's day.

Each of my daughter's teachers (and a few of my favorite friends that are moms) will be getting a box of tea and some home-made sugar cubes. While I have them slated for Teacher Appreciation and Mother's Day gifts.. these can certainly work as adorable favors for a baby shower, bridal tea, birthday, princess party, or even a get-well gift (spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, right?)



Happy Mother's Day... Happy Teacher Appreciation Week, and just Happy Day in general! Now go send some sugar to someone... if they haven't already... they might just do something sweet for you in return.

5 comments:

Susie said...

Adorable...and um kinda big? Maybe it's just the angle of the camera...how many teaspoons did it turn out to be? Did you put that on the package? VERY cute idea.

Erin said...

Love the colors! How crafty are you?! I'm barely dressed today. You're my hero.

Marian said...

Oh so sweet! I love Peggy Porschen's books. Great version of the sugar 'cubes'.

Suz said...

I see things all the time and say "I can do that". It's a good way not to spend money...although I almost never follow through. CUTE idea! Love it. And something you can do with the little ones. I'll have to get some little ones ... I can do that. ;-)

Half Baked said...

Aawww those are just adorable! Great idea:)